A New Beginning - Week 14

Rocky Race surprises his father after the Eastgate match. Mozzie Mostin takes the players on a mystery team-building trip. While Rovers face-off against Castlemere, looking to continue their promising form.

Melchester Rovers v Castlemere 2013/14

Post a Comment

7 Comments

  1. in terms of artwork its the best story so far! loads of close-ups to the players which makes it more ROTR! the only thing i personally dont like is the star-looking shape of some of the dialogues..
    but u really gave it a wellie this time well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The star ones are used when the person speaking cannot be seen and for the general crowd roars. The page looks quite bland without the burst and jagged edges. I thought it makes it more modern. I agree that the larger shapes look a bit star-like. I've been looking for a better shape.

      The alternative would be to have more irregular sizes and shapes of each image, but sometimes this gets messy and hard to follow.

      Thanks for the comments, as always. I have been really sick this week so didn't put much effort in at all. I did try to make the grass look more autumnal, more yellow than green though.

      Delete
  2. another thing i d suggest: bring more players fromthe past in. as footballers, as opponents, as come out of retirement... ROTR players are allowed lengthy careers anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the realism of the stories so i would prefer it kept to 'real time' I think the only Rovers player from the past that would still be playing is Declan McKaffree as he was 17 in the 2001 annual.

    What I would love to see are some player profiles for the new players, a bit about their background etc would really flesh the story out. I need to know more about Jake Cheetham and my fellow welsh man Drew Powell.

    I'm on this blog nearly every day as there are so many updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea is that each player gets introduced as the story grows. So an important player will get his own chapter, where we find out more about him, like the little bit about Freddy Van Den Broeck. I'd kind of forgotten this, so thanks for reminding me.

      You might have noticed that the amount of prose has reduced each week. However the engagement times on the document stats have gone up, so readers are more engaged with the shorter stories, i.e. they finish reading the whole thing. Trying to decide what to leave out is hard, the BBC style reports give info on other teams, players and the graphics look really nice and it doesn't use up any of my creative ideas.

      There will be room for character development after Christmas though, but I can't say why yet, that will ruin the surprise.

      I always thought Declan would end up marrying Diana. He is in my 2013/14 database, he plays for Glenrath Celtic. Maybe a January transfer back to the Premier League is in order.

      Delete
  4. darren and storky? any chance to upload the annuals to make the story more consistent?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only have the 2001 annual....wasnt a fan of the annuals before that as they never followed the main story.

    If your looking for scans then best bet would be strkavs blog, that is where you will pick up the main story etc.

    ReplyDelete